Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The last thing you should imply to your child. A competition!

From learning to sit, crawl, stand till walk! I let lil pumpkin to achieved all in her own pace. I don't force her to be the earliest among her peer. I don't feel left out if every other same age kids had done their milestones first before mine. Saying this, it's very difficult for me as a SAHM to not getting worried when ppl around me keep telling me lil pumpkin is too slow in her development and I should seek medical advice. I remembered lil pumpkin can't even sit by her own at the age of 8mo. We had an appointment with paed and were send back home telling us everything was fine for her reflex and she's just slow and every baby is different in their growing stage. They made us an appointment for review 6 months later just in case no improvement in between this period of time. Immediately 2 days after that, lil pumpkin can sit by her own. And she even put strength in her legs when we put her to stand. In just 2 days time she improved. So I keep telling myself not to rush her anymore. She have her own pace.

Fast forward 6 months later I forgotten the appointment made to review at the paed. And we did not go back for the review. At the age of 14mo she then stand up by herself without help. But this did not impressed anyone except us(me and hubby) because everyone thought she was too late for this milestone to be achieved. When lil pumpkin turn 1yo I was asked by many "is she walking yet" obviously my answer would be no. Surely there would be so many suggestions for me to digest all the time. And in order to respect lil pumpkin's own learning pace, as a mother of her, I tried my best to filter all these feedback from others. It's in deed the hardest job I had. 

There was once I got very stress up and keep pushing lil pumpkin to stand up and walk. I've been saying things like "b, when are u gonna walk? Every other kids younger than u can walk by their own already, why are you so slow?" "Can u start walk soon? I can't wait anymore I'm worried." After quite sometimes I started to observe her everyday. And I'm super regret to say things like this to her. I know I shudnt do this because from what i see from lil pumpkin's attitude. She's a very quiet and gentle girl. She do things softly and slowly but very firmly. She don't do things that she's not confidence of. From then onwards, I stop rushing her to get up and walk, instead I follow her pace and help her in every steps she wants to go forward.





5mo. tummy time.



  
5mo. trying to grab toys in front of her.




 6mo. sit with support.




 8mo. sit unsupported frog style.



9mo. sit unsupported with help.




  
 11mo. sit unsupported by self.




14mo. self training to sit and stand in the cot till fall asleep.




17mo. trying to stand by herself without support.




17mo. Stand by holding furnitures. 



18mo. crawling everywhere with light speed.




19mo. Cruising around furniture.





On the 12th of Oct. Lil pumpkin turns exactly 20mo. As usual when I hold both her hands and start walking her to the backyard to see the dogs she let go 1 of my hand and start walking holding only 1 hand of mine. Walking slow but steadily.



Dear parents/parents to be, your child doesnt need any competition in her learning year. So spare them some patients and let them grow happily and you will have a wonderful perfect little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment